Saturday, December 30, 2006

Oh, what a night!

Hello everyone, just wanted to share out night with you.

All was well, and nothing was stirring, not even a mouse. We were all fast asleep, dreaming our dreams, when all of a sudden, at 3.43am, I was rudely awoken by a lound wooshing noise. I grunted and rolled over.

Then it happened again, this time much louder. I leapt out of bed and looked outside and to my horror the service yard of the car dealership opposite us was ablaze! Every 10 seconds or so, there was a huge release of gas (no, not by me ;o)) which made the flames shoot some 30ft into the air. The though crossed my mind that this could get alot worse - there was undoubtedly gas cylinders with oxyacetylene for welding - it was after all a repair shop.

So with one swift move, I dialled 000 and calmly explained what was happening, while at the same time waking helen, telling her to get dressed, and move to the back of the house.

So, she promptly headed for the window for a rubber neck! I know, I'd do the same. Some 3 short minutes later, we heard the distant sirens of the fire engine.

The fire was out within 15 minutes, thanks to the 5 - yes 5 - fire engines that pulled up, plus 2 police cars, and multiple neighbours all intheir dressing gowns and slippers.

I took some movies that weren't too good so I wont bother with google video, but here is a pic...

Before we knew it the place was awash ankle deep in foam and the firemen has gained access to the yard with the help of a hefty angle grinder. the flames were out within 15 minutes, but there was still huge clouds of steam leaping into the air!

Soon there were police crawling over the scene, with temporary floodlights making it look like a move set.

All was quiet again by 5.30am, just as the dawn was breaking. Sleep beckoned, and when we arose at around 9.30, the place was abuzz with forensic teams, there was even a 'scene of crime' tape across the entrance to the yard.

I, being the nosey so and so that I am, headed out to get some much needed info, and was met by a member of CID who had a pile of questions for me. The funny thing was that I was standing there chatting away with one hand in my pocket - holding a box of matches! I was suddenly feeling scared! I had been out in the late evening prior to this for my usual friday night cigar, and left the matches in my pocket! How scared was I?

Anyhow, it seemed that they were investigating this as a case of arson, and will be making many enquiries in the coming days, so I may not have heard the end of this!

Whoever said that life in suburbia was dull???

OK, better go to bed now, we'll post more soon - we visited the Puffing Billy today and had fun, then watched Happy Feet in the open air cinema - what a cool film!

Catch ya soon

C

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well! What excitement!! The picture you painted of it all made me feel like I was there! I suppose Peter and Maureen slept through it all?
Hope you guys have a wonderful evening on the river tomorrow... We will raise our glasses to you...with a bottle brought from Acacia Ridge....and for me there will be many happy memories.

Love you all
Mama