Monday, June 25, 2007

'Biggest Loser' update

Hi everyone, I thought it might be a good time to update on my fitness plans.

I have to say it has actually been a very good experience so far, with a lot of hard work in the gym, as well as plenty of discipline in the food department (most of the time).

So, the gym side of things has seen the most obvious improvements. When I started, I am ashamed to say that my fitness was akin to a three-toed sloth, only moving if absolutely necessary. I was advised by a fitness freak at work that the very best way to improve fitness was to run, as it was the most effective at improving cardiovascular fitness. When I started at the gym, the best I could muster was around 45seconds of running at 10kph (more of a jog really) before my legs would decide to go on strike. I have always HATED running, just ask my old PhysEd teacher at school - it was more of a dreadmill rather than a treadmill. Sure, I was strong - I can bench press over 200lbs, but my fitness and stamina was shocking.

As I have alluded to in a past posting, my blood pressure was a worry. When I joined the gym, they did a routine check, and machine kept malfunctioning. they tried it 10 times, and only once did it actually read my BP. It was 167/135, and my A:B index was 1.62. (the AB index is an arbitrary measure of peripheral vascular disease, the ideal result being 1.0)

This was a wake up call. I could continue to bury my head in the sand and ignore this and suffer the consequences, or I can do something about it.

Thankfully I am still young and my body is fairly malleable, and over the past 7 weeks I have seen a real transformation in myself. Granted, there isn't too much on the surface - my weight loss has been very gradual, around 9lbs (4Kg) so far. But for me the most astounding changes have been below the surface.

As of last night, my BP is 135/85, resting HR of 58 and the AB index is down to 1.28. In the space of 14 visits to the gym in the last 42 days, I have surprised myself in what I can do. I can now run in 3-4 minute segments, with brisk walking in between, and am achieving 5km in each session. My current aim on the treadmill is to keep to the 5km distance, but to improve the timing. Yesterday I did it in 40mins flat.

Another aspect that has surprised me is how I feel during and after the treadmill. I guess it is the endorphins that are released, but I have found myself smiling when I am reaching a goal, and here's the odd thing - there is small voice in the back of my mind that I haven't heard in a VERY long time saying 'go on, just a bit further, you can do it!'

Maybe it's the little voice of addiction, instead of craving cheezels and crisps, is now craving those endogenous opiates hehe ;o)

So that's it really, sorry for going on about me so much, I guess I'm just proud that I have turned a corner. As I was discussing with Helen last night about a completely different subject, but this is an 'epoch' event in my life!

Enjoy you week,
C

No comments: