Saturday, February 03, 2007

And so it seems

...that real estate agents are not always truthful in their descriptions of properties...

What a day we have had. After an early start, we were both very eager to see this place over the road, in which we have been very excited about all week. We arrived and were met by the agent, who quickly realised she had been given the wrong keys for the house. After all I was expecting - the hordes of people to view the property, we were the only visitors.

Anyhow, she was very apologetic, and promised us we could come and see the house in the afternoon, after she had gotten the right keys. So, we progressed to the other places that were open for inspection.

The first place, here, was actually quite nice, I rated it a 7/10. there was a fair amount of interest, but we both felt it was let down by the following points:
  • No Aircon, just evaporative cooling - making it quite ineffective in the very hot days
  • Possibly too big for us, we'd possibly 'rattle around' the place.
  • We were greeted by a lovely hunstman spider as we entered the proeprty, giving Helen the heebygeebies

Next on the list was here. When you look at the web brochure, it actually looks very nice, soemthing a little older, and reading the blurb sounds good too. We arrived to be greeted by the agent - a chap by the name of Simon Coombs. I have been trying to call this guy all week, leaving messages on his mobile, with his secretary too. And there he was about to show us this property. I kept calm, and wanted to give him the benefit if the doubt.

As he was unlocking the doors, he made no apology and said simply "It needs a really good clean". Rather dubious. He wasn't wrong, teh floors were filthy, and as I walked into the main lounge area, I was ensnared in spider's webs. I moved into the study area, again to be captured in webs. The smell was not too pleasant either. So we left. That place did not need cleaning, it needed cleansing with FIRE! I also made known to this chap my disappointment with him not returning my many calls. I don't think he will be getting any of our business in the future.

The final visit was to here . Helen's spidey senses were aroused by the wording 'cute' and 'sweet' in the description. Again we found that pictures can be decieving, and we spent only 2 minutes in the property, before exchanging a knowing glance, this was not the place for us.

The we got 'the call' from the dippy girl this morning who had the wrong keys, to say she was at our favourite house for us to inspect.

I was all excited, thinking yes, after all the disappointments so far, we would just walk in, fall in love and that would be it. I would swing my master plan into action, and we'd be all moved in before march.

Well, here it is - it was indeed a lovely house, as I walked in, it really had a sense of 'this could be a home, not just a house'. The downstairs was lovely, a gorgeous backyard / suntrap, lovely kitchen, the lounge would have been just about big enough for our furniture. An upstairs we went.

The bedroom was like a loft room, with a sloping roofline, leading through to the en suite and walk in wardrobes. It was tiny. I was deflated. There was nowhere to put our desk, and we reckoned that our bed would have dwarfed the main bedroom.

I'm still gutted now. I guess there's several important lessons here - first, make no opinion of a property until it has been seen. And second, take any kind of descriptions of properties as a randomly generated set of facts that very loosely fit the property in question.

Hey ho, the search goes on. Although I feel pretty crappy about this whole thing, and especially so after today's viewings, I do know that good will come out of this, and we will find somewhere thet we can be happy with.

I am decalring a total ban on all ineternet searching of properties in this house until at least monday.

Catch you later

C

No comments: