Monday, October 30, 2006

Wine, wine and more wine!

Hi all,
the last two weeks, whilst Chris' ma and bro have been here, seem to have centred somewhat around the topics of food and wine. I think that I have possibly consumed more wine in the past few weeks than at any previous time in Australia. Of courese I'm not complaining!

The biggest consumption of alcohlic beverages has to have been last Saturday when we were treated to a wine tour, courtesy of John and Yarra Valley Wine Tours. They picked us up in a little min-bus and sped us down to the Yarra valley where we met up with 7 others. Much to our amusment 5 of these 'others' were also Brits!

For full details rgarding this trip you can read John and Rosie's blog but here are some of the highlights:
Domain Chandon- which, I realised, is part of the Moet Chandon group. It is only about half and hour from our home- why had we not been there before? Drank far too much bubbly at this one and bought a bottle of pink sparkling for Christmas.
De Bortolli- we had lunch here. The menu was limited and a bit posh for my liking, which is why I ended up with rabbit spaggetti. I thought that I would be able to pick the rabbit out but it was minced rabbit. To be honest it would have been ok if I had been able to stop myself from thinking of our childhood rabbit Flopsy each time I had a mouthful!! Thankfully their a cheese shop at this winery so I was able to fill up on a cheese tasting plate after the meal. The rest of the family also tried the entire fortified wine menu but I was already feeling a little queasy so gave that one a miss.
Balgownie Estate- This winery was smaller than the other two and, to be honest, I thihk that I had kind of lost the plot by this point. However,we must have liked something there cause I just checked the cupboards and we have a few bottles of their Shiraz! We are also intending a return visit to this place as they have rooms and a spa!! Mix it with good food and wine, what more could you wnat!
Acacia Ridge- This was my favourite winery of the day. Infact I think it was everyone's favourite winery- not least cause the wine maker was our host and he gave us the bottle and said to pour as much as we wanted. THe guy was about 80 years old, with 2 hearing aids. At first we all thought he was a litle insane but we soon realised he was actually an excellent sales person. Our group of 11 people must have bought 2 or 3 dozen bottles from him between us. 1 couple bought a dozen just for themselves! But my favourite thing about this guy was not his wine, nor was it the cool little hut with the big open fire, no it was the field full of beautiful labradors that got me. They were all gorgeous and both Chris and I left the wine tasting after a while to go play with them. We really need to get a dog soon!

When we got home that evening we were all a bit worse for wear. Rosie fell asleep on the ofa about 5 minutes after getting home. The boys consumed a curry, (munchies I think!) and I nursed a bad headache in the bath!

An excellent time was had by all! Rosie and Jon may have over done it on the wine buying though. Their excess luggage payment was $240 ! Oh dear! Love Helen***

No comments: